Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Best Things in Life

This summer has been the biggest growing season of my life so far. Being a mom has stretched me in ways I didn't see coming. It amazes me to think what may still be ahead if I feel this way after 7 weeks :) One of the things I have learned is to slow down and find joy in little things. That sounds cliche, but I didn't know how to really do it until I was in charge of a newborn. I like to always be doing something, I'm a big multitasker and getting things done and checking them off my to-do list makes me feel productive. But now, some days it's 3pm and I'm still in my pj's that smell like spit-up and the dishes are still not done and I haven't even had a second to brush my teeth. It really bothered me at first that I couldn't keep up with the household stuff and still take care of Cole, but that didn't last long as I realized what was more important. The big thing for me was just accepting that it was ok. And now this has been the best month of my life (I'll admit it, June was a little rough adjusting :) as I see my son growing and hitting little milestones and bringing me so much joy. And sharing it with Tyler and having him love it as much as me has made it that much sweeter.

I found this quote from President Kimball that sums it up: "Some observers might wonder why we concern ourselves with such simple things in a world surrounded by such dramatic problems. Yet, one of the advantages of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that it gives us perspective about the people on this planet, including ourselves, so that we can see the things that truly matter and avoid getting caught up in the multiplicity of lesser causes that vie for the attention of mankind." What a blessing it is to have that perspective!

So here's the simple thing that brought me joy today; my little guy's adorable smile :)

The flirty smile. I'm sure he'll get lots of ladies if he keeps that double chin!

A little blurry but I had to add it.
My favorite today! How can spending time raising and being with this guy be any less important than having a career or being "worldly" successful? We went out to eat at Cracker Barrel with the Oregon fam. Thanks for coming over Rod, Lisa, and Jess! We love you and can't wait till the baby blessing.

3 comments:

The Bingham's said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for reminding me of what is important. I just wish that I could remember it all the time. Cole is so lucky to have you as a mom!!

Steve and Kim... said...

im so glad you have a blog! i noticed parkers and then saw you on his. you guys are so cute. im just sad that we all weren't closer growing up. it seems weird. cole is a doll and i can't wait to get home and see him!!!

Sharene said...

Thanks for saying that Jackie. I agree. I was always doing something and I could clean my whole house on a Saturday. Now I can't with my sweet baby and sometimes it can be frustrating. I need to just remember that having a happy and healthy baby is better than a spotless house!