Friday, November 7, 2008

It's your choice

As the huge decision was made Tuesday night that Barack Obama would the next president of the United States, I had a million thoughts, questions, and worries on my mind. My biggest concern, now as it is with most anything, is the kind of consequences that this decision will have on my child and future children. Although he was not the man I voted for, as a citizen of this country, he will soon be my president whether I support him or not. I am validly concerned about many of the actions he wants to take in office, such as the pulling our troops out early and his views of healthcare, just to name two. And I am very opposed to many of his opinions with moral issues like abortion and homosexuality. Now that I am clear on that, I feel the need to tell you about the other feelings I had Tuesday night. Feelings of pride in a country where a boy who is only a few generations removed from slavery could grow up to be president of the greatest country on earth. Only America can offer that kind of hope. I also loved watching Senator Obama with his wife and girls. He so obviously cares for his wife and family, as I've noticed throughout the campaign. I was really touched as Michelle came out to join him on the stage at Grant Park, and I imagined all the weeks of separation, huge amout of stress and worry, and wide range of emotions that this couple has been through during this campaign. Now I need to restate, I don't support democratic views and I am very much a conservative, traditional person. But, I don't feel that just because I don't agree with this man that I can't appreciate the signifigance of this outcome and share in the moment. I choose to be optimistic, positive, and have faith that the future of our nation is not in Barack Obama's hands, but in a higher power. Someday I'll talk about this with Cole and tell him where I was and what I was doing when the first African-American was elected president, and I don't want my comments to him to be laced with hate or disrespect. Although our views disagree, we get to choose if we feel fear or faith. I always want Cole to choose faith.

6 comments:

Matt and Amie said...

Awesome post Jackie! I couldnt agree with you any more. I am excited for the next 4 years. Thats a really sweet picture.

The Bingham's said...

Well said Jackie!! I hope for the same. I have choosen Faith as well. Especially for my children. Thanks for a great post!

Megs said...

thank you for that. I've really needed it. and you are right. All we need is faith. Thank you for reminding us all what it means to be an American! :)

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see an honest post that isn't hateful or pointing fingers about this. I've seen so many of the opposite from democrats. Thanks for the uplifting message.

Jacque said...

I really liked this post...thanks for having a contagious optimistic view of this election.

The Holmes said...

So well said, Jackie...I wholeheartedly agree with just about everything you said. Have a good one and we'll chat soon.