Saturday, September 20, 2008

GO Utes! And Utah State! And anyone who isn't BYU!

I just read my sister in law's latest post about how much she loves her Cougars, so I feel a need to balance out the universe and mention what a huge UTE fan I am!! And I know how some of you Cougar fans feel, like all Utah fans are crude, crazy, rebellious people who couldn't be good Mormons because all good Mormons go to BYU. I sort of thought that growing up, Dad took us to a BYU/Utah football game in Provo and after Utah won, their fans pulled out cigars and thermoses full of beer to celebrate, right there in the stadium! I was so mad we lost (yes I did start out a BYU fan) and so mad that they would do those terrible things on campus, I thought all Utes were the devil. Then I became one! And I LOVED going to that beautiful school, where so many prophets had gone before (wink wink, hehe), and where I got a great education and met wonderful, amazing friends that I'll have forever. Anyway, just feel like rambling this morning. I'm not as anti-byu as is sounds, I have a brother that goes there and my parents did too, but I'm just a bigger Ute fan.

So, last weekend Christine's team (Utah State) played in a tournament at my old alma mater and I was so excited to go! They played Utah Friday night, and Tyler was working so Cole and I took the trip down by ourselves. It was really weird to be there with my baby, but it felt as home-y and wonderful as ever. I believe there is no better place to play volleyball in the world than Crimson Court!

Christine's team lost to Utah in 3, :( , but it was fun to watch and cheer for her. It was confusing to me at first to cheer against my Utes, so I tried cheering for both teams in the first game. But family won out and by the 2nd game I was only cheering for Utah State! I only know a couple of the Utah girls now, because I'm such an old timer, so it didn't feel to weird to cheer against them. And Christine did awesome! She got some amazing digs and passed really well. I love watching her play, and I have to remind myself that she's only a sophomore. She's much better now than I was my soph year!


I'm so glad mom had the idea to take this picture! Swoop was walking around during the game, and he came by our row and we waved at him. Mom says, "Have him hold Cole!" so we did, and Cole didn't cry. He didn't really look at the huge, scary bird with the gigantic beak though, or he may have. By the way, they really need to wash that bird suit. It smells just like it did 5 years ago, only with 5 more years of stank on it.
After the game, just waiting for all the people in the gym to leave so we can go home too! It's a family joke, after games we always just talk and visit, and it seems like we're always the last ones to leave :)

Cole was pretty worn out after the game from all that cheering! This is what he looked like when we got home.
The next day, Utah State played Purdue who was ranked #16 in the nation, and we won in 5!!! It was SUCH a great game and again, Christine amazed me with her crazy libero skills. It was fun watching with mom and Tegan.
Auntie Christine after the game.
Cole was excited about the big upset too.
Heading out the second day, we had the football orphans with us (just kidding Jenn! Park and Jenn went to the BYU football game so mom was watching the boys), and Jackson wanted to help me carry baby Cole. Although carrying it that way and keeping his little hand on it made it a long, arm-tiring walk to the car, it was so cute he wanted to help!

Once we got outside, Josh decided he wanted to help too. This was an even more awkward way to carry a big baby.
I just thought these were cute, Cole likes helping with the laundry! Look how long he's getting! I just broke out the 3-6 month clothes yesterday and he fits in the 6 month stuff pretty good! Definitely length-wise, he's just not quite as wide as they are. He also moved up to size 2 diapers this week! He's a growing boy!





10 comments:

The Bingham's said...

All I have to say is GO UTES!!!

Shanna said...

Okay first of all I can't believe that Christine is a sophmore in college??? Where has the time gone? And cole is such a cutie!!!

The Howards said...

Thank you Jackie for sharing your Utah pride with all. It's a great reminder of which school is truly the best! Size 2 diapers?? I think Tyson was in 3's by then! Can't wait to get them together!

Jenn said...

OH WHERE TO START? Ok, GO COUGARS!!! GO BYU!!! Haha, I will never fully fit in with the Morrill family because I will forever and ever be a Cougar fan and will never ever in a million years be a Ute fan. BUT...the stupid school DID produce Jackie, who I love. =)
Sorry my boys made it so difficult to carry Cole, welcome to my life! Haha. Miss you guys!

LivingstonClan said...

SO having attended BOTH schools, I can proudly say I am still a COUGAR FAN!!! They are positives about Utah, but it is such a different experience at BYU. But I guess everything is what you make of it. I think Utah does an excellent job at brain-washing life time Cougar fans against them, it has happened to a lot of good people I know--or used to know...HAHAHA!! Love it Jackie! And your little man is sooo cute.

Matt and Amie said...

Yea, GO UTES!! Seems like we were just there! I miss you! Cole is adorable! Enjoy being in size 2 as long as it lasts. Josh is in size 5 and he is only 5 months old. Dont babies know that diapers are not cheap?! (Especially the bigger the diaper!?) :)

My name is Andrea said...

Go Utah!! :o)

McKelle said...

OK, that makes me so...home sick!? I guess I can say 'home' right since I did live there for 5 and a half of what were some of the most important and fun years of my life. It's where I met such great friends and really learned about who I was and who I wanted to be! I haven't been to Crimson Court since I was pregnant with Crue and I came to visit while you guys were doing camps! It was great that Beth told me I looked just like I usually do during pre-season, big and fat! OK she didn't say big and fat and she was clearly making a joke so no hard feelings! Anyways I'm glad to hear your feelings about the U! I loved it! I too grew up a loyal BYU fan but now I find it really hard to even cheer for them when they're not playing Utah!
GO UTES!!

Julie said...

Yeah! Boo on BYU!! It looked like Cole was getting pretty cozy there with the mascot! I love it! Oh and he is getting so tall!

Jacque said...

Ok I totally am opposed to y'all. GO BYU!!!!!! Mike may not agree with me, but he is not the one reading this blog right now and i have to stand up for myself.....I hope you are doing well. Miss you.