Monday, May 11, 2015

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

I can't stop thinking about that quote I saw on the only blog that I regularly check in on, nieniedialogues.com (if you aren't familiar with Stephanie Nielsen, be sure to check it out. You're in for a treat.) I love the type of person it makes me envision - confident, strong, grateful, happy. I am feeling that way today after celebrating a wonderful Mother's Day with my sweet family.

I really got the royal treatment today! After years of not-so-subtle hints about how I want Mother's Day and my birthday to be handled, (I feel like for 363 days of the year, I will put my family first and serve them unselfishly. I want 2 days to be mine! :) Tyler really understands what I want and makes those 2 days so awesome. All I want is: to be with my family, to not have to do any housework that I don't have to, for the kids to recognize the day by serving me somehow, to take a nap, read, or just sit down if I feel like it, and to cuddle and love on my children. Anything extra is icing on the cake.
As I'm typing it, it sounds a little selfish and I guess it sort of is. But the real reason behind my desire for queen-like treatment on my two days of the year is because of my children. I want them to stop and appreciate what a mother does all the time and to practice showing gratitude. I want my boys to grow up and treat their wives the way Tyler treats me - with respect and appreciation and a little spoiling. I want my girls to lose themselves in service to their families but also know how divine and worthwhile their roles and mother and wife will be. I'm thankful for a husband who listens and shows me love in the way I want to see it :)

When I got home from church, Cole ordered me to get into some comfy clothes and get in bed. He then brought me lunch in bed! He made a turkey sandwich all by himself! It was super sweet.


Cole took this one of us after church today. I love this guy more than anything.

I love these boys.

Sure love these girls. Nice photobomb Cole!
 Being a mom is the best! There is no other way I would rather be living my life.

I guess it hasn't been all about just me around here lately...:) Cole lost a front top tooth!! It was so exciting to him. He really didn't want to part with it so he asked the TFairy if she would let him keep it and she did. It has left quite the hole! 
 We really loved conference and I enjoy building it up and getting the kids excited about it.
 We also had fun hunting for eggs at our primary activity - Luke even found a snake that he carried around for a couple hours!

 I just love this big old tub. And the lighting in there is awesome at bedtime. These two are such good buddies! I think he's going to be lost come fall when she leaves us ALL DAY. I don't want to talk about it. :( .... :)
 I've been running again! My knee is feeling Super great and I'm building muscle and endurance back up again. I am pretty confined to the treadmill since Tyler leaves so super early for work but I don't mind, I'm just so pumped to get to run again after a year plus off (thank you ACL and Lucy :) It just feels good to sweat again.

This baby is so happy and awesome!

Found a cool trail behind one of our favorite parks in Eugene.

We took the preschool kids to Thompson's Mill in Shedd, OR for a field trip. It's an old grain mill and it was fun to hear the history. This story really impressed me, a man named Bud Kronschteiner worked in this exact spot for 30+ years, doing the exact same thing - filling grain sacks and sewing them shut. He wore out the floor and there is even a footprint at the bottom of the picture where he stood. Can you imagine doing the same exact task for that long, day in and day out? He had a family to provide for and he just DID IT. There's a lot to be said for just doing a task because you need to, not because it's convenient or fun or what you wanted. Maybe he loved his job or found purpose in it, but can you imagine working in the same 5 foot space for your whole adult life? Inspiring.
 This mill was really cool and historic.
 We got to go to Newport with my Morrill family that came out for Lucy's baby blessing, it was a beautiful day. I love being this close to the ocean.
 A couple of Lucy's 3 month pics :)

 We had a picnic in our dining table fort one day for lunch. Fun! I love Cole's lantern he taped to the "ceiling".

Check out that hair! Wow!

I need to do another post about Lucy's blessing day. It was beautiful.

Luke's daily job - putting the silverware away. It's awesome!

We did the pet parade again this year, which means we dress up and borrow pets from Lisa to walk them in the parade. Cole wanted to be a cowboy and walk Hershey...

Kate was Little Red Riding Hood on Buster

And Luke was the big bad wolf riding Peanut. Such good horses! Such lucky kids to get to enjoy them!

We are in the beginning of both Kate and Cole's baseball seasons which are fun but more work to eat dinner early, then get home and get in bed fast. We also have a crazy birthday season coming up, Kate in a couple weeks, then Cole a couple weeks after her then Luke a couple weeks after him. I'm really looking forward to it! :)

0 comments: