Thursday, September 22, 2011

29 before 30

So I'll be 30 in 9 months (today!), and that deserves some kind of amazing to do LIST! Because I am a huge list maker. Inspired by other 30 year old friends, I have created a list of 29 things for me to accomplish before July 19, 2012 when I say goodbye to my favorite decade ever and join the old thirty year group. I love setting goals and crossing things off, so this kind of stuff is really exciting to me. These are things I either have been thinking about recently or have been wanting to do for awhile. I wanted to wait until after conference to see if I got any new ideas and I'm glad I did! (#s 25 & 29). Several #s started out at a higher number, but I had to be realistic for the amount of time I have to do those things (#s 2, 19, 28). One great thing I already learned is that I want my life to focus on the things that really matter to me and my family, things that have eternal value. I have this quote from Sister Hinckley on my fridge and it is my true favorite:


“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”

This is the kind of person I want to become!

And everyone knows that telling others about your goals holds you more accountable and committed. Wish me luck!

  1. Fill a journal
  1. Read 5 great literary classics
  1. Take my kids regularly to our local retirement home
  1. Learn to make homemade bread
  1. Establish new family traditions

  1. Cross off one of our destination places with Tyler

  1. Finish Kate’s baby books

  1. Run 20 miles consecutively

  1. Paint something I’m proud of

  1. Sleep under the stars - no tent

  1. Write more letters and thank you cards

  1. Be a more involved visiting teacher and give a message every month

  1. Complete 29 house projects

  1. Sit by someone different at church each week
  1. Blog more often - bi-monthly

  1. Become a better listener

  1. Get to know everyone that lives on my street

  1. Run in 2 half marathons – seriously consider a full (after completing #8)

  1. Give away 5 Book of Mormons

  1. Make a new pie from scratch each month on the 23rd

  1. Make our family and home prepared for a major earthquake

  1. Change the oil in my car by myself

  1. Take a moonlit walk on the beach with my darlin

  1. Learn a skill from my mom that I can pass on to Kate someday
25. Find two family names that Tyler and I can take through the temple

26. Have a three month supply of food and water

27. Create birthday cards for everyone for the year by February

28. Cross off 15 hikes in our Farmington Trails book

29. Memorize "The Living Christ"


I can't wait to get started on planning out when I'll do these! I already feel good about where I am in my life, I remember thinking ahead when I was 20 wondering where I would be at 30 and what I would be doing, and my greatest dream was to have what I do now, a husband I love and children to be home with and enjoy. I am so blessed! So I think this list will help me feel I've accomplished something extra this last bit before my bday.

I'll keep you posted! #15! Oh and I'm doing part of #18 by running the Provo Halloween Half next weekend! Woohoo!


5 comments:

Lisa Petersen said...

Jackie,
You are the most organized, spiritual, loving wife and mother and daughter and daughter in law! I love you so much for your beautiful and thoughtful ideas. I love you for more than that, but this idea is so you! I support you 110%! Anything I can do to help, I will.
Love you! Lisa

Jeana said...

What great goals! You are awesome. I'm planning on doing the Bear Lake Marathon in June if you want to get that one under your belt before the big 3-0 :) If I can run a marathon, trust me, you can :) Good luck!

Parker said...

Holy crap! That's an impressive list. So are you planning on some big change in "9 months" that will prevent you from doing these things after that ;) I look forward to your successful report, in no less than 18 blog posts from now :)

Shanna said...

You are amazing. Can't wait too watch your progress doing them cause I have no doubt at all that you will accomplish every one of them. :)

Jessica said...

I love that list! It's so comprehensive and not focusing on just one thing! I'm totally going to copy it too! You're an inspiration! Love you!