Saturday, September 4, 2010

The summer that never ends

Since school has started and I have not, it totally feels like summer is just going to continue on forever and this is just my life now. It really has been such a terrific summer, and one hugely fun part was our annual trip to OR.

We drove and drove and drove to OR (13 hrs to the coast), then drove every day we were there, then drove and drove and drove home. TP estimated that we put on close to 2800 miles! Too bad we didn't spend much time in the car. Ha. The kids actually were excellent considering, the dvd player that we borrow from our neighbors for OR trips was a gift from heaven, and Kate just is a content kid and stuck it out. Also, we rented a ton of books on CD for Cole from the library and those were diverting as well. Anyway, aside from the driving we did a ton of fun things and got to spend some great time with our loved ones.

TP looks forward to riding his dad's Harleys while we're in town, but this ride was not so fun although very memorable for all of us. We were just a few miles out of Prineville after a long drive from Junction City, it was dark, and he ran out of gas. I luckily was right behind him, so I pulled off the rode and put my flashers on. Well he wasn't just going to sit on the side of the road and wait for me to save him, he starts pushing this huge beast of a bike for at least 2 whole miles before he wears out. Another truck pulled over to see if we were ok and offered to let us use his CFN card to get some gas (ironic, but we ran out of gas right by a gas station but you have to be a member to use it so we couldn't) at a station nearby. So he pushed it over there and the guy was super friendly and wouldn't even let us pay him for the gallons he bought us. So we took his picture and thanked him much.

One of my favorite days was spent at the lake, Tyler drove the boat most of the time and pulled everyone in the tube. Us ladyfolk spent most of the time on the shore with the little ones, but I did get out on the boat with Cole a couple times and he was very concerned when people would go flying off the tube. It was cute. Something not so cute is what Cole did to TP's arm when we were packing up to go home, I'm sure by looking at the whole picture here you can tell what happened.

Just give me my glove and my snacks and I'll stay happy!
Kate slept most of the day, we had fun dressing her up a little.
Earlier that day we ran in the Scandia Run, a 10K in Junction City. It was so great that all 4 of the Petersen siblings ran it, and did amazing. We had a yummy breakfast at the Goodman's (family friends) after, this is everyone!
We also had fun at the Scandanavian Festival, Cole even got to do some rock climbing! He loved it.
Cole's favorite thing though was going to Uncle Jordan's fire station and getting to see everything up close. Jordan was so great, he put on all his gear for us and let Cole try everything out. It was really awesome to get to see where he works what he works with, he was so sweet to take the time to do that for us.
Just look how Cole is looking at him! New BFF!
He also got to go riding when Lisa and Jess did drill, he is so brave up there and can name almost all the riding equipment (bridle, reins, stirrups, etc.)
Another great day was spent in Portland with Jackson, Janale, and the girls. We didn't have much time to spend there but really loved staying with them and just hanging out. We hit up the Tillamook cheese factory on our way home which was super cool. They had like a cheese sample buffet you could go through (for free!) and you also got to see the assembly line of how the cheese is blocked and put into packaging. Totally entertaining for a couple who loves to see "How It's Made". We had Kate with us, who was an angel as always. Look at that precious face, I can't tell you how many times those cheeks get kissed every day!
YUMMMMM. It really is the best cheese out there.
I stuck the camera out of the window while we were going 40 mph and got this shot, we also were going around a corner and I had to hold it behind me! Not bad. Hard to see, but it's my favorite lighthouse in the world, Haceta Head.
We went and ate at Jessica's restaurant in Florence, and Cole had his first taste of shrimp. Cold, slimy, not breaded shrimp, and he loved it. Weirdo.
We had so much fun going to the dunes with Jordan, Jolene, Jess, and Lisa. Cole's telling me about the four-wheeler guys that ride up the side of the hill.
Oh, and Koda came too! The front seat of Jordan's bronco.
In the backseat: TP, me, and Cole in the carseat. He loved it! And eventually fell asleep.

A different day, we went to the beach because although a little chilly, you can't be that close to the ocean and not go. This is what Kate did...
And yes, being the responsible mom I am I left Cole's coat home so he got to wear my hoodie.
We love the beach! I'd bring the kids here ALL the time if I could.
We had a great visit with Nana, Grandpa, and Aunt Ronda too. Ronda made some beautiful things for Kate, and also brought a gift for Cole so he didn't feel left out. So thoughtful :)
Thought this was cute. We should have got one with Nana too!
At Nana's playing in the rock water fountain. Yes, some of that mossy water did end up his mouth.
A great time! Can't wait to get back next summer.

1 comments:

Isaak and Jackie said...

you guys always seem to be doing something fun. Last night I watched USU play against UofI and guess who is on the team Christine. I totally spaced that she played there and didn't realize it until Ike was reading the roster. It was so fun to watch her she has some amazing defense and great leadership. I watched her pump her team up and encourage them when things got tough. I had gone to watch my college roommate's sister and got to watch two girls I know.