Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Marathons and airplanes and canning, oh my!!

So here we are! Two months later. Since our last post, Cole has flown on an airplane 4 times, seen his first fireworks and ocean, learned many more words and signs. Tyler's ran a marathon and canned pears and salsa. Jackie's ran a half marathon, started teaching school again (that's the main reason blogs are behind), and cut up things for Tyler to can. We've had a visitor from South Carolina stay with us for 10 days. We've been to Idaho, Nevada, and Oregon. We've welcomed a new nephew and watched a brother get married. We slept in a haunted lighthouse, camped in the backyard, and stayed up late watching movies. We've shopped, swept, played, scrubbed, dried tears, redboxed, laughed, ran, read, weeded, cleaned, diapered, and loved these last couple months of summer. Here's a few highlights.



The Bees game on the 24th - the best fireworks in the state! If you've never been, you get to watch a baseball game and then take your blankets down to the field after. The fireworks are literally above you, and everytime I go I get ash in my eye. So fun!

Getting ready for Oregon trip #1! Can we just check him at the gate?

Cole LOVED those fast moving sidewalk things. We could have spent hours on that alone.

When we got to Jackson's, Cole headed straight for the motorized vehicle that happened to be his size. He even figured out how to make it go by himself, which was a little scary because he has no idea about steering.Cousin Shaely was being sweet, as usual.
Shaely felt like it was her duty to carry Cole around, because he's such a baby and all. Sometimes he liked it, sometimes he didn't. I love that face!
Getting groceries together! Cole needs a sibling, he loves being with other kids.
For our late anniversary gift to each other, we spent a night at the Haceta Head Lighthouse Inn. It's the old lightkeepers home that they've converted into a B&B, and it's listed as one of the haunted lighthouses in the US. We've been wanting to stay there since we were dating, so we were pretty stoked. Here's the view from our front porch.
Here's an even better view from the front porch. I have to say, if you ever get to the Oregon coast, you have to make this a stop. Everything was fun and cute but the hightlights were walking up to the lighthouse at midnight with a flashlight and seeing those huge lights head out over the ocean, and the 7-course breakfast in the morning. Seriously, 7 courses. It was amazing.

We visited some friends in Newport that took us to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. It was sweet! Here's Tyler inside a tropical fish tank.
Check out the sharks behind us. This was one of those tunnels that you walk through and you're going right through the middle of the tank.
Cole's first trip to the ocean! He loved the sand and throwing shells back into the sea, but didn't care much for the water getting his toes. It is a little chilly, I don't blame him. Here he is throwing a shell back, you can see it in the air.
He also liked looking at his shadow.
Toddler toes.
Family shot.

I love these girls! (and that boy). Tyler's mom and sister.

Cool driftwood.
We also were able to go on an all day bike ride through some beautiful forests and scenery. We look pretty tough, right? It was so much fun. Thanks for babysitting Jess.
Here's a place we stopped during the ride, that's a huge lava field behind us! It looks so weird to go from the beautiful Oregon forests to all that volcanic scenery. I'm talking on the phone with Jessica, I don't know why I couldn't put it down for two seconds.
We ran in the 10K Scandia Run, it was great! With our friend Ben, sister Jess, and Jackson's Janale.
Back at home, we found many surprises awaiting us in our garden. The fruits of our (not much) labors. Square foot gardening is the way to go guys.
Our HUGE sunflowers! I can't believe I planted them as tiny seeds back in May.
Cole loves playing in his sandbox.
The first day of school! Cole looks super excited, right.
We canned salsa with tomatoes, jalapenos, and green peppers from our garden. All we needed from the store was onions! Tyler did most of the work, they turned out yummy.
Our good friend Amanda came and visited us from South Carolina for ten days, so we played tour guide as well as we could. We ended up at temple square a couple times.
Cole was bummed he couldn't get in the temple.
My domestic husband was playing with the sewing machine, and of course Cole wanted to help.
We took Amanda rafting down the Green River, we hauled our raft to the drop off point.
Parker and Jenn blessed our new little Tyce before the took off to DC. Here's our Morrill family.
This is how Tyler mows the lawn! Cole loves being in that backpack, he's waving to me.
Oregon trip #2 - For Jordan and Jolene's wedding. Cole knew the routine as soon as we got on: look out the window, put down the tray table, play peekaboo with the people behind us, look out the window, play with the tray table, peekaboo, and so forth. He was like a puppy going from one thing to the next and back again.
Grandpa used to cut Tyler's hair when he was little, so we asked him to do Cole's. He did a great job for such a squirrely 1 year old.
Once again, Shaely and Cole find the four wheeler. This is the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding.
Wedding day. 4 generations of Petersens, looking sharp.
Nana had this scooter at the wedding to help her get to the different places around the field, and it kept Cole entertained for hours on end. We plunked him on there during the ceremony and he was good the whole time :) Anything with buttons, keys, and levers does the trick. He's also learned how to say cheese when I take his picture :)

Shaking his booty with daddy and cousin Shaely.
Beach trip #2. Walking around with grandma and Max.
Look aunt Jessica, there's sand on my foot!
My two boys.
Yumm, cotton.
This was just funny, yesterday he got his hand stuck in the wipes tub.
He's into looking through his legs upside down lately. It cracks him up.
Now you're caught up! I only wish we had some pictures from our PC marathon, Tyler did so great finishing in 3:55 for his first marathon. I got to run with my great friend Katie, is was really cool to do it with her and nice to have someone who runs at my pace to do it with (Tyler's a little fast for me). I'm looking forward to many more!

6 comments:

Shanna said...

How fun! I loved all the pics! Cold is so stinken cute! I think my favorite is when he mowes the lawn in the backpack. That cracks me up cause it reminds me so much of zayne. Kids are so much fun! :)

Julie said...

Looks like so much fun! How did Cole do on the airplane? You'll have to give me some tips since I know we'll be flying a lot in the future! We need to have you guys over so we can catch up! Oh and Cole is just too darn cute!

The Bingham's said...

Man Cole is getting big. What a handsome guy. I love that you stayed in a haunted lighthouse. I would LOVE that. Too cool. I am going to try and run a half marathon next year in spring. Wish me luck, hate running....

Isaak and Jackie said...

wow you guys had a full and happening summer looks like tons of fun. Can I just say you look gorgeous!

Heather said...

I love your posts! I feel so informed and in the know! So glad that you guys are doing well :)

BenJenKids said...

I kind of like the whirlwind posts--get it all done at once. Great to catch up with you guys!! The lighthouse sounds and looks so cool. I love the ocean, well not going in it, but being by it :-)