Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Grow little garden, grow!

I've been really excited lately about square foot gardening and growing things in raised beds, so I talked Tyler into building me some beds for our veggie garden this year. Last summer (our first here) we didn't do much to the backyard except for take care of the grass and plant a tree, so this year, weighing 40 lbs less and not having a huge beach ball belly getting in my way, I have been excited to make it more of what we wanted. Here is a before pic of a section of our backyard:

I never really got the concrete stones. They were just taking away from valuable garden/yard space, I felt. They were the first to go.
Here is the after, before compost. Tyler had to transplant some grass to fill in the edge. Didn't he do a great job putting those together?
A close up of how he did the corners. Genius.
Here's after putting compost in the beds.
And here's after putting our little plants in! 4 roma tomatoes, 2 bell pepper, 2 zucchini, 2 cucumber, and 1 jalapeno, melon, pumpkin, squash, and some carrots. Sidenote: we got them all at Costco for a great price, already started and everything. Cool right?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I can't explain it, but I don't always do well with plants. Tyler is a big help, so at least our garden has a 50/50 chance.
After a fun morning of gardening and yardwork, Tyler mapped out a route, we put on our leathers, and hit the road for a bike ride. We had such a great time, mom had Cole for a couple days so we were tried to squeeze as much as we could in. The ride was great though, the weather was beautiful but got progressively chilly so good thing we brought extra layers. We were both freezing by the time we got home!
We went past Devil's Slide, but not before stopping to take a picture.
Well, I've been slacking on the posts so that means a lot of non-connected pics. Enjoy!!
Cole playing with flour.
Straight to the tub after!
This is what can happen when you're learning to walk, even when mom and dad are standing 3 inches away from you. Poor guy was walking in the kitchen, stumbled, and banged his upper lip on the fridge corner which gave him a little bit of a bloody nose and a fat lip :( Sucking on ice seemed to do the trick, and it only took a minute for him to get back to mobile. He is one tough cookie!
Riding daddy's bike.

My handsome older brother graduated from BYU law school last month, we had a great time celebrating with the whole family. Way to go Parker, we're so proud of how much you've accomplished so far! This is waiting for the graduation to begin, Cole loves his cousins.
At dinner afterwards, Cole got a big kick out of Tyler pushing him around in the wheely highchair. It doesn't take much to entertain my boys :)

Cole also has become quite proficient at climbing up on things, he's such a little monkey. He likes climbing in the bathroom cupboards and finding fun things...
And of course helping with the dishes.
I just wanted to mention how proud I am of Tyler with his marathon training. Don't let the goofy smile fool you, he's actually NOT so excited about getting up at dawn to run miles and miles. But he does it! Keep it up honey.
Just cute. I can't WAIT to spend the whole summer with my boys!

5 comments:

Parker said...

Oh, I wish we could see more of you guys! It was fun getting to see a little of Cole when he was out here. Too bad we missed you and Tyler! Looks like things are going well and you're having some good times, love ya!

Jenn said...

Too cute! Cole really does love Jack and Josh, he just wants to get right to them and grab them! I love it! Good luck with your garden, I really should do one out here but...I've got that big beach ball belly. =) Can't wait to see you next weekend!!!

The Bingham's said...

So sorry about Cole's lip. No fun!! I had to laugh at the pictures of him under the sink and helping with the dishes, excatly what Alex is doing right now too! Too CUTE!

Laura said...

I love the picture in the bathroom! So cute and he will be so embarrassed later on!

Jessica said...

I hate running! Way to keep at it and I love what he found in the bathroom!